Friday, November 4, 2011

Writer's Block or I Suck!

This morning after I opened my new USB keyboard I thought "I am going to use this to write Lindsay's nightmares"
Unless I start from scratch, Lindsay's Nightmares sucks. I introduced the first slightly scary scene about 4 pages into the story. The reader barely knows Lindsay. I didn't even describe her as a person. I didn't give her any looks. I'm not sure if she's white or black. I don't even know when to describe her. With my story about the kitten I knew exactly the right moment to describe my characters.

From the time that I could say my alphabet at about four years old I liked to tell stories. By the time I was in the first grade I was writing chapter stories for kids. I loved to write so much that sometimes my teachers would tell me that if I were half as interested in my school work as I am in writing my stories I'd be the best student in the class. I'd write in school, I'd write at home. I'd write so much I'd only set it a side when my hands were cramped and ink stained or when Mom had called me a second time for dinner.

Now I am a busy mom of two with one on the way. I started writing again a few weeks ago. I wrote a children's story about a kitten whose family mysteriously disappears in the night. He wakes up to find himself all alone and bravely decides to set out on a mission to find his mother and his five siblings. Along the way he meets unusual friends and finds that he shouldn't judge a book by its cover, so to speak. He learns that hurt and loss comes in many forms.

I loved writing that story. I enjoyed each and every step. Now I am writing Lindsay's Nightmares and I am stuck on the 4th page. I have been stuck on the 4th page for about 4 days. I told myself that it was because I did my best writing on the weekends. I don't do the best writing on the weekends. I wrote my story of the kitten nearly everyday. A new idea popped in my head all the time. I was raring to go. I was anxious to leave work to write that story. Now I am not even motivated to open Lindsay's Nightmares. I don't know one single interesting thing that can happen.

I can blame it on writer's block or I can accept that I really never was a writer to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment