Sunday, June 24, 2012

Starving Artist

I am writing a book series I (as of today) plan to title September. However, as my writing evolves, so may the series title. I cannot guarantee anything about the books so far. What I can tell from my imagination is that the book will be about a high school teen who discovers that she has superhuman abilities and learns that she is not alone.

It will also involve some romantic themes in a sort of unlikely couple situation. Anyway, I know my story has potential but I don't know how much potential. I was pacing around today thinking over my finances. I have nothing of value and I'm currently unemployed. The one thing I want for all of my books is a copyright. The main reason this is important is if I ever have any legal difficulties. I am not an ego maniac but there are crazy people lurking. In fact, I live with a crazy person, me.

While I'd never steal someone else's idea I still worry that it could happen to me. I do not assert that my idea is genius or even worthy of stealing but when people believe things will not happen to them that seems to be when they do and then that person is shocked and dismayed
     "I never thought this could happen to me"

So I want to pay for a copyright but how do I pay for a copyright when I'm too poor to pay my bills? If you thought you had a pretty good idea, a worthy enough idea, would you ask for help with finances? I have some family members who are doing a tad better than myself and I was thinking if I write all three books in the series and get them ready for the market, perhaps my grandfather, my dad, my uncle or my cousin would be able to finance the copyrights for the books. The reason I'd wait until all three were finished to ask for financial assistance is people are more likely to take an idea seriously when serious work has gone into it.

If you were in my shoes and you thought your idea was worthy enough, would you stoop to asking for financial help from loved ones? What about in this case where an idea like a story, art work, or music just do not seem like realistic achievements to some people.

I haven't burned any bridges with family and friends. I've never borrowed money for a "great" idea and then turned around and boozed the money away. I've never asked for a business "loan" and then blew the money gambling or allowed the business to tank. So I think I have a bigger shot at being given money for something "unrealistic" because I've never messed anyone over. For what its worth, though, I hate booze and I'm no fan of gambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment